Another relatively uneventful week, albeit one significantly affected by the after effects of the previous weekend’s massive snowfall, which wrought havoc on the roads and rails and made it impossible for me to get into the office.
I decided to do a blind tasting on Monday to see whether I could pick out some of the whiskies in my collection by taste alone. Apart from one, I could not. Not terribly surprising given the number of possibilities. More amusing was The Missus’ idea of a small pour—I had already tried each twice before I took this photo!
A Monday snow day felt like pulled pork (recipe), so I got to work on the whole picnic shoulder that I’d bought in advance of the storm. Ordinarily I’d just season and go, but an 11-pound cut was too much even for my six-quart slow cooker. Turns out that disarticulating a joint is hard work, and that’s without needing the ability to put it back together. I’m starting to understand why surgeons are paid so well.
The snow might have kept me from the gym for the better part of a week, but it gave me an alternative workout on Monday. I shoveled out a neighbor’s car, moved two massive snow piles, and cleared a few hundred square feet of parking lot on Monday. Not only did I get a workout, I helped my little community, and what’s the point of being strong if I can’t put it to practical use?
Apart from laps of the Metro parking lot on Monday, running was strictly on the treadmill, and I continue to make progress toward what I consider respectable paces. Patience and determination are paying off.
Getting some of my bike fitness back, too. I can handle moderately hard efforts with grace—it’s the top end where I’ve really fallen off. Fortunately, I know how to address that, and I’m cool with pain.
With only three days of work a most of my time off spent dealing with snow, it was a decidedly uneventful week. I’m pleased to say that I finished installing our new doorway, and The Missus is sufficiently satisfied with the work that I may be given permission to install our new washing machine. Maybe she should see how I handle the drywall repair before making any final decisions.
While the doorway was a success, the cabinet refinishing had a setback. Failure to sufficiently prep/prime the surface led to quickly peeling paint, complete removal of which will take significantly longer than doing it properly would have. Oh well, at least now we have an opportunity to reevaluate the color we chose for the main body of the cabinet.